It is always a good idea to have a few passports photos with you. You never know when you will need them.
Leave a copy of your itinerary and a photocopy of your passport at home or with your family, to let them know your travel plan. It would be better, if the hotels you are going to stay are also known.
One of the best ways to stay in contact with the people at home, while you are traveling, is to have a web based email. Something like hotmail or avasmail. If you do not have a web based email account, you can setup an email account for free from these two sites.
If you loose your passport while abroad, do not start making unnecessary calls home. As this mishap could prolong your stay and you need to save as much as you can. Follow the steps below:
* Go to the nearest police station and report the incident, and get a police report.
* Write the name of the hotel, phone number, fax number, room number, your national identity card number (or passport number) on a piece of paper
* Now call home and get your most reliable person on the phone
* Give all these details you wrote down to this person and get his/hers identity card number and full name.
* Ask this person to contact the Immigration on your behalf
* Fax a letter (with the police report) to the immigration explaining the situation and giving details of your contact person (make sure you write his/hers identity card number).Fax number is (960) 320011 (Head Office) and (960) 320451 (Airport)
IF YOU ARE IN SRI LANKA, INDIA OR UNITED KINGDOM, CONTACT THE DIPLOMATIC MISSION